Monday, November 20, 2006

Biphasic Sleeping - Day 1

Hello and welcome to my blog.

The purpose of this blog is to track my progress in converting from long lie-ins to biphasic sleeping.

What is biphasic sleeping? Most of you have probably heard by now as there are many similar blogs about this subject on the web, and also several websites which explain the concept reasonably well. I'll put up some links to some of the better ones soon. However, for those of you that don't know, biphasic sleeping consists of sleeping in two sessions, one "core" sleep (usually at night) and one "nap" (usually during the day).

I hope that biphasic sleep will allow me to get up earlier and control the amount of sleep I have whilst still maintaining a healthy number of hours rest. I plan to achieve this by sleeping for 6 hours at night (between 2am and 8am) and 1.5 hours during the day, I'm not sure where to place the nap yet and it may have to vary slightly around my schedule, I'll see how it goes.

This schedule would result in 7.5 hours sleep per 24 hours. Not an amazingly low amount, but less than I currently get and I want to start off gently. If this goes well then I may attempt to reduce the core sleep to 4.5 hours, resulting in a total of 6 hours sleep per 24 hours.

I should point out the reasoning behind the lengths of the sleeping sessions, several sources suggest that sleeping in multiples of 90 minutes, ie. naps of 90 minutes or 1.5 hours or 3 hours or 4.5 hours...etc, best suits our natural rythm, meaning that waking at the end of a 90 minute period may be easier than waking half way through a 90 minute period.

I am beginning the schedule tonight, in half an hour in fact when I will take my first core sleep between 2am and 8am. I will update this blog each day in order to record my progress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home