Monday, November 20, 2006

Day 1 - Waking from core sleep

I had been worried that I would be simply too tired and comfortable to get out of bed at 8am without a reason to do so other than the prospect of becoming biphasic, I thought I might oversleep...however I actually had the opposite problem! I underslept!

This is a bit embarassing but I will have to admit my mistake. I got back from a holiday abroad yesterday, a holiday to a country in a time-zone one hour ahead of England...and forgot to update the time on my phone...which I used as an alarm. Meaning that I got out of bed at 8am as planned, got ready, then realised it was actually 7am! I decided to just stay up rather than risk going back to bed for a short sleep and end up oversleeping, though of course this meant that I got 5 hours sleep instead of 6, not a multiple of 90 minutes as planned.

I'm now very curious to see what happens when I attempt a nap this afternoon. I doubt that getting just five hours sleep in one night will have a massive effect on me, especially not on the first day, I have no idea whether I will be able to fall asleep for my nap but I will try.

I'm still not sure when to take my nap. I want it to be reasonably far apart from my core sleep in order to give me a sensible amount of waking time between sleeps, however my schedule varies depending on the day of the week so there is no 1.5 hour block in which I am always available. I will therefore need to adjust my nap time slightly each day, I would be able to most closely stick to a nap time of 11:30 to 13:00 with an hour or so adjustment either way depending on the day, however I'm worried that this is too close to my 8am waking up time.

I guess an 11:30 to 13:00 nap wouldn't be so bad if I achieve my goal of changing from 6 to 4.5 hours of core sleep. I could then sleep from 02:00 to 06:30 and 11:30 to 13:00. Giving me 5 hours of waking time between core sleep and my nap and 13 hours between my nap and core sleep. Although 13 hours may be a bit too long, we'll see.

For now I will just see how it goes and take a nap at some point each day even if the time varies quite a bit from day to day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home